Monday, 12 December 2011

'Under the Never Sky' review

Monday, 12 December 2011 11:30 Posted by Chanelle
Under the Never SkyUnder the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Release Date: January 3rd 2012

Another amazing 2012 debut.

This book starts with a bang. I felt like I was on a roller-coaster of emotions as I read this. Sometimes I was excited. Other times I was frustrated. Other times enthralled. Other times anxious. It was great!

Under the Never Sky is told from dual POVs. Aria, a girl born and raised in a highly tech filled Pod created to protect the citizens from the lethal Aether polluting the air outside. And Perry, an Outsider who hunts and lives in a world filled with tribes and enhanced senses. When the two collide, there's definitely good and bad fireworks.

At first, I was more interested in reading the chapters from Aria's POV. I found her world and her take on the world to be easier and better to read. Perry's chapters were a little slow and a little full of angst. His devotion and care for his nephew was sweet, but at the same time, not too interesting to read about. However, the plot definitely starts to take off when his nephew is kidnapped and he is forced to work with a shunned Aria to get him back.

The book wasn't too long, and didn't read long. But there was so much that happened in the pages that it felt like two books worth of development. Which is good. Rossi manages to realistically develop her characters and their relationships. I love when two characters start off hating each other and then the feelings start to change. It was wonderful to read about. It was also very intriguing to read about their journey and learning things as Aria does. This world was a fascinating one.

The writing itself was easy to read and lovely to picture. Everything was described well, and I had a real image of everything happening. There were certain things I'd have liked expanded upon. For example, the tribe locations and the Aether. There were also a few characters I would have liked expanded upon too. Vale for one. Marron, as another. And definitely Cinder - who was named rather appropriately. Currently, it seems his only purpose was to save the duo in impossible circumstances and to prove that Perry wasn't the Savage Aria thought he was by helping Cinder when he was injured.

All in all though, I really enjoyed this. I cannot wait for the sequel and feel very proud to be part of the Apocalypsies with Rossi! Definitely pick this one up if you like sci-fi dystopians with a well developed romance. Pre-order this one on Amazon.



View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. Wow. This sounds like one action-packed book! You have me even more excited to read this. I'm so glad that I received an ARC of this for review too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is one of those books that I just KNOW will be big.

    AMAZING review!

    And isn't that title just so eye catching? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received this book as an ARC and I quite enjoyed it as well. It's wonderful and the character development was on point. I can't wait to see this in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got this book in the post yesterday and I'm chomping at the bit to dig into it!! I'm forcing myself to finish my current read (which happens to be an Emile Zola book so it's taking a while!) before I open UtNS, though.

    I love the cover too! It's so purdy! ^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...